Execute Legal Docs Before Packing Your Kid Off to College

8:03 am Uncategorized

College 122x150 Execute Legal Docs Before Packing Your Kid Off to CollegeIn the rush of preparing a child to attend his or her first year of college, most parents give little or no thought to their legal rights that will also be leaving the nest, along with their college student.

When your child turns 18 years of age, you are no longer able to access any of their healthcare records or make healthcare decisions for them as a parent.  In fact, colleges will not share school records either unless you have obtained written permission from your child.

While accessing some information is usually not a dire emergency, when it comes to your child’s healthcare, it could be.  Here are the legal documents your child will need to execute to allow you to access their information in case of an emergency:

Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) form. A Newport Beach estate planning attorney can assist you with executing a proper HIPAA form for acceptance by medical professionals at school or in a new city.

Healthcare Power of Attorney. In the event of an emergency, when your child may not be able to make their own healthcare decisions, a healthcare power of attorney will allow you to legally assist them.

Whether you need assistance with providing for your child’s education or your family’s future, we can help. Let our Costa Mesa law offices help you get started by contacting us today.

Leave a Comment

Your comment

You can use these tags: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>

Please note: Comment moderation is enabled and may delay your comment. There is no need to resubmit your comment.