How to Protect Assets for Minor Children

12:03 pm Uncategorized

ChildofDivorce How to Protect Assets for Minor ChildrenLegally, children under the age of 18 cannot inherit large sums of money (and if you have a life insurance policy, then you have “large sums of money” to pass on to your child!).

If a parent dies and leaves this money directly to a minor child, the court will step in and appoint a guardian to manage your child’s money —and there’s no guarantee this guardian will be a trusted friend or relative. A trust will prevent your child from having to grow up with this added level of bureaucracy, and will give you more control over how the money is managed and spent.

When you create a trust for a minor child, you can specify whom the trustee will be as well as your instructions for how your child will inherit.  For example, instead of having your child come into his or her inheritance all at once, you may consider it a better plan to distribute the wealth gradually.  You can still earmark funds to pay for education, medical expenses, etc., before they even reach the age of distribution – which, again, you can specify.

Establishing a trust for minor children also ensures that their inheritance is protected in case your spouse remarries.

Contact our Orange County estate planning law firm to help you protect assets and establish trusts for minor children or any other beneficiary.

Get started by contacting our Orange County asset protection estate planning law firm as soon as possible.

Leave a Comment

Your comment

You can use these tags: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>

Please note: Comment moderation is enabled and may delay your comment. There is no need to resubmit your comment.